Re: sputtering '92 325i

"Douglas M. Max" <DMax@domain.elided>
> I'm getting a sputter; not quite backfiring, when under acceleration.
> I'd thought I was losing mileage too, but evidently not.
>
> When the revs get up to 3K or so it "lights" on all burners. Could
> this be a coil problem?

Unlikely.
You would get a check engine light with an appropriate code if it were the
coils.

> Fuel pump going south (car has 104K)

If it were, it would only get worse with RPMs.

> O2 sensor new, phase II tuneup recently.

Did you do the inspection II yourself?
If not, I would crawl under the car to make sure the 02 sensor was indeed
replaced (it is NOT part of inspection II).
Was the fuel filter replaced?
How about the plugs?
Both items are a part of inspection II, but the only way to know for sure
if they had been done is to do the work/checks yourself.

> Any advice appreciated.

Take a close look at the idle control valve.
As a '92, I do not believe your car has VANOS (would have been my other
guess).

HTH,
alex f