Re: e36 key cylinder won't turn

Drew Mouton <drew@domain.elided> wrote:

> Another clueless question: my recently acquired '98 E36 had been
> sitting, had a dead battery, and lost key, before I bought it.
>
> Got a key from the dealership, replaced the battery, and I can't
> seem to make the key turn in the ignition. Suggestions?
>
> I get trunk/dome/parking lights, so I know the battery is working;
> key inserts fine, wil turn backwards all day long, but won't turn
> forward. Steering wheel jiggle doesn't do anything.

Does the key rotate to turn on the ignition?
Does it open/close the doors?
If not, I would suspect you got a wrong key.
If it engages the door locks but not the ignition, it is possible the
previous owner had problems with the original ignition lock and replaced it
with something other than the properly keyed dealer ordered unit.

> My Bentley manual doesn't either.

???

> My options seem to be:
> - it's the wrong key

Possible.
Ask the dealer to read back the VIN number they used to order your key.
It's easy to make a typo.

> - I don't understand the anti-theft on the car

This has nothing to do with the anti-theft.

> - start dissembling the steering column

No point.

> - something else?

Non-original ignition lock.
Or damaged original ignition lock. This would be less likely, since the
single most common failure mode is that they spin freely without starting
the car. What you describe is exactly the opposite.

> My previous bimmers were much earlier e36 or e30 cars, without the
> same anti-theft stuff, so I'm wondering if I'm just being clueless
> here.

Anti-theft stuff (EWS) is all in the DME (computer) expecting a proper code
stored in the ignition key's chip. There is a total of 10 magic codes
reserved for any DME. When you order a new key from the dealer, the key is
coded back home in Bavaria with one of the remaining available default
codes and shipped to your dealer. If you ask to order the 11th key, you
will be told to buy a new DME.
However, all the EWS does is stop the DME from firing the injectors. You
ignition key would still turn in the ignition lock and turn on the
ignition, etc. If the key doesn't turn, it has not been cut for the
installed ignition lock.

alex f