e36 key cylinder won't turn

Hey All,

Another clueless question: my recently acquired '98 E36 had been sitting,
had a dead battery, and lost key, before I bought it.

Got a key from the dealership, replaced the battery, and I can't seem to
make the key turn in the ignition. Suggestions?

I get trunk/dome/parking lights, so I know the battery is working; key
inserts fine, wil turn backwards all day long, but won't turn forward.
Steering wheel jiggle doesn't do anything. My Bentley manual doesn't
either.

My options seem to be:
- - it's the wrong key
- - I don't understand the anti-theft on the car
- - start dissembling the steering column
- - something else?

My previous bimmers were much earlier e36 or e30 cars, without the same
anti-theft stuff, so I'm wondering if I'm just being clueless here.

Drew