Steering Wheel Shaking

I had this same exact thing happen to me with the wife's old 2001 Jetta.
The steering wheel developed a shake after getting the 45,000 mile tires
rotated.  It was mostly noticed at less than 35-40 mph and you could feel it
in the brake pedal too.  I have had warped rotors before, and this wasn't
the same.  Out of balance wheels should be felt at higher speeds too, just a
higher frequency.

We mentioned it to the dealer when we were having something else taken care
of and they said it was from uneven wear on the tires.  They said that if
you're going to rotate the tires you have to do it very often, like every
5,000 miles or so instead of 10-15,000 miles like we were doing it.

So, instead of getting new tires, we bought our 2001 325i!  And then, when
reading through the owner's manual, I was amazed to see that the BMW manual
pretty much tries to discourage you from rotating tires at all.

So anyway, you might try to rotate the tires back, especially if you can do
it yourself or cheaply and especially if you haven't put much wear on them
in their present positions, and if you know exactly where they were before.
Some people criss-cross them.  New tires is probably the answer or live with
it until you can get new tires.

Jake
2001 325i - RED!

From: "Manny Nolasco" <mnolasco@domain.elided>
Subject: Steering Wheel Shaking

Dear all,

After I took my 1999 323i to the dealership, and they suggested to rotate
the wheels ($40 fees), the car is shaking at high speed and especially when
I hit the brakes.  Is this due to uneven tires or I need a wheel balance
job. The tires still look good.

I could think of 3 options:
1. get new tires
2. rotate back the tires