<E28> Brake Question Upgrade - Quick Answer Needed Please

Hi All,

I am on my way up north to the cottage, and while I was driving yesterday I
noticed some squeeling and grinding coming from the front end of the car, and
this was sudden since the day before it was fine.  So I took the wheel off,
and noticed that the brake pads were worn down to the metal and grinding on
the rotor.  This concerned me since the "Brake Lining" light never came on on
the dash board, and it seems that there were no "Squeel Tabs" on the pads
themselves, which will usually give you an audible warning about them needing
a change.

Anyway, I have been contemplating an upgrade to bigger pads and rotors on the
car for a while, and since I have to change them now anyway, I am thinking
this would be the best time to do so.  I do however want to stay within the
same offset, and hopefully keep the same calipers, since I cant afford to buy
new wheels or calipers right now.

So can anyone give me the best route to go with, using 7 series rotors and
pads, or newer 5 series rotors and pads that would be a direct bolt on,
without purchasing new calipers, or am I S.O.L? and if I am SOL on the caliper
thing.  Then at least what is the best combo to go with while keeping the same
offset?

My local parts guy wants $99 a rotor for the standard E28 rotors, and $69
total for the pads.  Mind you that is in Canadian Dollars, so that would work
out to about $60 a rotor, and about $50 for the pads.  I didnt price out new
calipers however.  I am guessing that the other rotors and pads shouldnt be
that far off but, who knows..

I know there is a site where the brakes interchangability is listed, however I
have a very crazy next 2 days, and the investigation time is not there for me.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Ron Jordan
85 535i