From: neil
To: sig@domain.elided
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: [SIG@M535i] <E28> Hot shifter knob, excess heat.

My M535i gets blazing hot in the shifter console, but it is missing the
rubber ring and insulation pad, so all of that heat comes straight up. My
<former> '87 325is & '85 318i also got very hot there. Oddly enough, my '91
318is only ever get up to warm. Never hot. Go figure.

Neil
'91 318is
'86 M535i <-which I should get back from the paint shop tomorrow :-)

Ron wrote:

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue or if it is a standard thing
for E28's

my 85 535i, seems to get a hot shifter knob shaft, as well as heat coming
from the center console after longer drives.  Since its a 5 speed there isnt
any ATF to check, and the shifting itself seems good, so I am wondering if
this is normal or not..

Any pointers or advice would be great

Cheers
Ron Jordan