Re: Auto Transmissions

>The 750i V12 was the earliest example, and it does not get to
>200k......before oil consumption becomes horrendous.....from what I >have
>seen so far.

While I'm behind you 100% on the transmission issue, I have to take
exception to this statement about the V-12.  My experience is that, with one
or two minor foibles (intake gaskets and DK motors), this engine is pretty
well near bullet proof if properly maintained (of course, almost any engine
will give you trouble if NOT properly maintained).  While I only have 79k
miles on my 850 (same engine), the experience of many other 850 owners with
well in excess of 125k, even 150k, is that of no significant oil usage
whatsoever.  I realize 150 is not 200, but then again, an engine is not
going to go from no oil useage to 'horrendous' overnight.

And also, $6000 will not get you a manual transmission to replace the
automatic, at least not in an 850.  But $8000 will. AMHIK.

Mike Barrett
BMW CCA 111632
93 850Ci (new transmission at 70k miles)
88 635CSi (125k miles, uses no oil, needed a new auto transmission at 110k
miles)