Re: Auto Transmission Service

The automatic transmission service question is difficult and there is no
consensus among independent BMW repair shops on the correct course of
action.  None of us in the aftermarket has the engineering resources to
reach a conclusive statement of facts regarding the issue of "lifetime"
fluids and need for transmission servicing, and questions about the efficacy
of fluids other than those specified by the manufacturer.

Modern automatic transmissons are very complex, and there are several types
of friction materials in use by the various manufacturers.  This is
especially true of the lockup clutch in the torque converter.  When the
manufacturer specifies a fluid, and the use of another fluid may compromise
the integrity of the transmission, and when replacing that transmission may
run $5K, many independent shop owners are not interested in experimenting
with customer's cars.

All that said, we have successfully used several different fluids in the ZF
5HP30
transmissions, as well as the later "lifetime fluid" transmissions.  We have
had good success with Red Line D4 as well as a product from Southwestern
Petroleum.  We also use the factory fluids for those customers who prefer
it.

The remaining question about whether it is necessary or prudent to service a
transmission filled with "lifetime" fluid also does not seem to have an easy
answer.  By 75 or 80,000 miles, the fluid is dark, thick, and syrupy.  On
visual inspection, the stuff looks awful.  The question, though, is whether
it is reasonable to spend the money on a transmission service if it may not
lengthen the life of the transmission.  There is currently no consensus
among BMW specialty shops on this one either.  We are currently recommending
transmission service at 60,000 miles, and we seem to be getting good results
from this schedule.  We have two 5HP30's at over 200,000 miles now, and both
seem fine.

a well known problem inside the valve body of the early 5HP30's.  If the
problem is caught early enough, replacement of the reverse checkball is
generally enough to cure the problem.  There are, however, a number of
changes and improvements in the valve body and some o-rings, etc., to the
transmissions made before '96.  The valve body can be rebuilt with a ZF kit
that includes updated parts, or there is a complete ZF-rebuilt valve body
available.  Definitely do not put off these repairs, or the delayed reverse
engagement will deteriorate into no gear engagement with a damaged clutch
drum.

Nate Smith
Optimal Auto Care - BMW
2335 Soquel Drive