To cat or not to cat

Hey gang, this one may be a little controversial, but I'd like to
hear people's opinions.

I just figured out that the horrible rattle I've been hearing in my
E30 was a shattered catalytic converter core.  All of those little
fragments are rattling around making one heck of a racket.  No biggie
I figured, I'll order a replacement.  That was until I saw the price.
Over 1000$ from the dealer, and just over 300$ for the bargain
basement variety.  These are not small numbers on a college student's
salary.

Upon discussing the matter with some friends, it was pointed out that
I had the (somewhat dubious) option of cutting the cat out entirely
and replacing it with strait pipe.  (That or hollowing the thing out
and putting it back in to retain appearances).

My questions are this:

1.  Will any performance be gained by reducing this obstacle to
airflow or will I be hurting myself by changing the amount of
back-pressure the engine was tuned for?

2.  Could I be fined for this?  I of course have the option of saying
"uh, what's a catalytic whatsit?" and feigning ignorance... but that
involves a bit of dishonesty.  Any professional mechanics out there
who would turn-in a customer who was missing the cat?

3.  Thoughts on the morality/environmental issues?  I think my
conscience would bother me more if the rest of the known world had
the converters rather than just the US.  Clearly the rest of them
don't seem to think it's needed.  How would this be worse than any
other performance modifications that decrease fuel efficiency or the
like?

To me the pros are:
1.  Potential increase in performance and throatier exhaust note (not
crazy, I'm still leaving the muffler on).
2.  I don't have to spend boo-koo bucks.

The cons appear to be:
1.  A nagging little cricket telling me I'm not being a very good
person. (where'd I put that can of Raid?)
2.  Potential financial or legal (Missouri Law) liability if the
modification is detected.

I'm really on the fence about this, so I'd appreciate everyone's
thoughts for and against.

Thanks all,
Robert