Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Henri Baccouche wrote:

> >         It's not my car since I was really posting the question for a
> > friend but how did you guess the 80-100K miles since according to my
> > friend, it's 95k miles and the auto tranny isn't gripping the gears
> > correctly or something and his friend who is one of Asia's famous sports
> > racers said for him to change the transmission oil but he won't do it for
> > it.  No idea about the updated valve body, how does one find out?
>
> Run the Vin # at a dealer to see if the trans was updated.

	Good idea...

> > > First : Only use the special OEM ATF.......if you must.
>
> The OEM oil is unique.......for this trans.
> It is not Redline's version of Dexron 3 synthetic .......

	Is this only typical with the 5 series or does this apply to the
trans on the E36 and E46 as well?

> >         Is there any thing special about it since it seems to cost a
> > fortune and all the BMW Performance catalogs including Bavarian Autosport
> > seems to sell the Redline stuff, is there anything wrong with it.  Also,
> > my friend asked if Slick50 ATF is a bad idea.
>
> OEM fluid only...!!!!

	That's what I told my friend.  His racing friend told him to put
Slick 50 ATF in there and I remember reading a few years ago that
Slick50 actually does more damage than good to any car.

> > > Second : I have been monitoring this issue, since the "lifetime  fluid"
> > > craze began , and I think it's not worth it. The manufacturer doesn't
> > > recommend this service as a
> > > regular thing.
>

> These ZF Electronic controlled transmissions units do not take kindly to
> hard use........from what I have observed at the shop. Basically, at
> ~100-125K miles there will be many other parts on a BMW that are worn
> beyond specifcations.........so much so that I would suggest that such a
> vehicle is not a good idea for non mechanics. The trans is worn out like
> many other components. The car runs, but many major systems are worn
> out.....if you care to examine.
>
> For example:
>
> Driveline
> Front suspension  (complete from the wheel bearings to the strut bearings)
> Rear Shocks and possibly the rear subframe bushings
> Automatic Transmission
> Head gasket + Excessive Carbon build up on the pistons
> Cooling system if it hasn't been replaced already
> Fuel Injectors
> Steering Rack

	Never knew that many parts worn out.  I guess I'll recommend he
take it in for a complete checkup instead so atleast he knows what's
wrong with it rather than guessing.

> >         Yeah... I read about that as well but the lifetime might mean
> > the lifetime of the actual warranty.  Even the Koni shocks have a lifetime
> > warranty, my friend did worn them out and new ones made a big difference.
> >
> > > There have been many reported failures at ~80K miles
> > > and no anecdotal reports of ~150K miles without replacement.
> >
> >         Wow, so at 150k miles, it will need a $6000 AT replacement?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@domain.elided - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin