Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

Henri Baccouche <henrib@domain.elided> wrote:
> > First : Only use the special OEM ATF.......if you must.
>
> The OEM oil is unique.......for this trans.

Henri,
Could you please elaborate.
OEM oil is obviously unique in the sense that it is some other
manufacturer's oil re-branded by BMW.
BMW is not in the oil business, just like it is not in the transmission
business (manual or automatic). Your and Vincent friend's transmissions are
built by either ZF or GM.
I would advise to start by checking which transmission is installed in your
car and contacting the manufacturer for the advise on which ATF to use.
BMW dealer service departments are notoriously clueless and sales oriented.
Unless you personally spoke to a wrench with 10+ years of experience and
NOT a service "advisor", I would not put any faith in the advise your
received.

> It is not Redline's version of Dextron 3 synthetic .......

Most likely not.
BMW has never re-branded any RedLine products. But they had been known to
resell Shell and now Castrol (the current Williams BMW sponsor) products.

I've seen reputable local independents use both RedLine D4 ATF and Mobil 1
ATF oils in manual and automatic transmissions. One reason is cost - either
one is about $10/quart. The other is access. BMW makes it very difficult to
obtain their juice outside of the dealer network.

I doubt the independents would be using either product if it were to cause
accelerated transmission failure.

> >         Is there any thing special about it since it seems to cost
> > a fortune and all the BMW Performance catalogs including Bavarian
> > Autosport seems to sell the Redline stuff, is there anything wrong
> > with it.  Also, my friend asked if Slick50 ATF is a bad idea.
>
> OEM fluid only...!!!!

Why?
Can you tell me the difference between Redline, Mobil-1 or re-branded OEM
oil?

I'm yet to meet anyone who has anything good to say about Slick50 or
similar magic oils, so do stay away from those.

> > Second : I have been monitoring this issue, since the "lifetime  fluid"
> > craze began , and I think it's not worth it. The manufacturer doesn't
> > recommend this service as a regular thing.

Yep,
BMW NA stopped recommending transmission service in '98, exactly the year
they started including 'free' 3 year/36K mile service with new cars.
Prior to '98, transmission fluid flush was a part of Inspection II.
Draw your own conclusions.