RE: looking for nice 4 door car

- -----Original Message-----
From: JHahn22@domain.elided [mailto:JHahn22@domain.elided]

> it looks like I may have infected my parents with
> the BMW bug.  They asked me to look around for a
> nice 4 door car for them.  I'm thinking a well kept
> late 80's early 90's e28 or e-30 would be what
> their after.  Possibly an e34 or e36, but that will
> probably be out of their price range.

The E34 came out in '89.  I bought my '92 535i 5 speed
one year ago for $13K with 97K miles on it.  You can
get them cheaper than that with more miles or earlier
years or in the 525i model.  Finding a good 535i with
a 5-speed is significantly harder than the 525i.

> It needs to be well maintained (with a known maint.
> history, reciepts are nice), 5 spd., and 4 door, a
> touring would be even better.

Tourings didn't come out until the E34 series and then
only in the 525i guise in this country as far as I know.
I know of one on the side of the road in NH, but that
probably won't help you much.

The 5-series is a more substantial car than the 3-series.
This cuts both ways -- it depends on what they are after.
My 5-series is a pleasure on a highway cruise or when
just tooling around on a country road with my wife and
son, but you certainly feel its heft if you try tossing
it about.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner