Re: Squeaking Metal Mater Brake Pads on my M Coupe

tgstewart@domain.elided wrote:
> Yeah, dont use Metal Masters...  have you tried their Deluxe pads
> instead?

I have.
They suck even more than MMs.
Their only saving grace is the silver colored pad dust that matches the
color of the stock wheel paint. So instead of looking dirty the wheels just
look dull.
Otherwise they still fade after one good stop and provide very little
modulation. They are also relatively quiet.
I still have them on my daily driver E30, but only because I'm too cheap to
throw them away.
But this was the first and last time I ever tried either pad (my wife
should finish off the MMs on her E36 soon).

> A local friend with an E34 swears by them...says they are dustless
> and work fine, but wont warp your rotors, etc.,

No pad will magically warp your rotors.
Overheating them and than either hitting a water puddle or not cooling the
brakes off before parking will warp the rotors regardless of the pad used.

> as the Metal Masters are prone to do.  (This is all hearsay mind
> you...)

and so it is.

> I just run stock pads and clean my car once a week.

That's what I was doing before I went out on the dustless pad experiment
(minus the cleaning every week part ;-).
The Hawk HPS pads I run on my M3 are pretty decent for a moderately
dustless street pad.
My only complaint with them is that they are less heat resistant than stock
pads. So much so that I'm force to throw in front Blues whenever I go to
autoX. Otherwise they are a good street pads.
Some people also like Porterfield R4S pads. No first hand experience with
those.

> Did you put brake "grease" on the calipers/pads when you replaced them?

The grease is good stuff if you do NOT change your pads for the track. It
serves to dampen the vibration between the packing plate of the pad and the
caliper carrier thus minimizing the squeal.

alex f