Re: <e34> '90 535i AC R12->R134, one-touch, central locking

Bob Knight <bob@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hi - I have some questions for the cognoscenti. This list
> and other sites have been invaluable in assisting me in the
> maintenance and enhancement of my car.
>
> So, the questions:
>
> 1) I've been quoted in the neighborhood of $930 for:
>     . evacuate r12 system
>     . r/r compressor
>     . r/r suction hose
>     . r/r condensor (?) hose (the other rubber hose)
>     . r/r evaporator
>     . add r134 quick disconnects
>     . charge system
>     I'm supplying all of the parts, so this is mostly labor.
> Does this sound reasonable? If not, what's fair?

Bob,
FWIW, I did a R134a retrofit into my E30 4 years ago for $100 in parts and
3 hours of labor. That includes the time to drain the R12 oil out of the
compressor, fill it in with R134a friendly variety and change the
connectors, pressure switches and drier.
Are you sure it is necessary to swap the hoses? Have you double checked at
http://www.koalamotorsports.com ?
If the hoses stay, the $930 labor quote (10 hours of labor) is ridiculous.
If they have to be replaced, it is still kinda high. Figure another ~3
hours for the hoses, 6 hours total.

> Looking at bmwe34.net, the upgrade sounds easy, but they're not
> talking about hose and compressor replacement.

Perhaps there is a reason they don't do it!?

> I'm a fair wrench, having done radiator, thermostat, water pump,
> power steering pump, speed sender, brakes and muffler on this car,
> as well as other incidental work. I'm a bit leery of AC work, though.

Don't be. It's nothing other than a liquid/gas piping/pressuring system!

> If I were to tackle this, I'd have the r12 evacuated and the system
> vacuum/pressure tested and recharged by a shop.

Make sure they don't forget to credit you for ~2 pounds of R12 (at least
$50/pound).

> If I'm careful and use Bentley, am I heading into trouble or should
> I go ahead with a do-it-myself adventure?

I vote DIY if you have a spare car and can afford to futz with E34 in your
spare time. You've got plenty of experience.

> 3) [...]However, if I lock the car doors from inside the car by
> pushing the driver's lock knob down, I can open the passenger door
> from the inside using the door opening lever. Does anyone have any
> advice on this?

It's this way by design so that your passenger can open the door and exit
the car even when it is locked.
At least that's the case on E30 and E36 cars.

HTH,
alex f