Re: power windows

"John Weese" <john@domain.elided> wrote:
> >From: bdup <bdup@domain.elided>
> >
> >the windows on my 1994 318ic drop about 2 inches whenever i drive
> >on a really bumpy road. this behavior seems to come and go, some
> >days they'll drop, some days they won't. also, when i first got
> >the car the windows would lower an inch when i opened the door and
> >re-initialize the windows following the procedure in my Bentley
> > manual, but it doesn't seem to work. any ideas?
>
> I had my window open about an inch when I closed the door and the
> window dropped slightly. I could also move the window up and down
> slightly just by grabbing it.
>
> Instructions how to remove the door panel are in the Bentley manual
> so I won't repeat them here. Does anyone know what parts typically go
> bad?
>
> Exploded view (96 318ti) @
> http://happytogether.com/318ti/ETK/window1.jpg
>
> Parts list (96 318ti) @
> http://happytogether.com/318ti/ETK/window2.jpg

John,
In my case it was a plastic clip (part #2 on window1.jpg pic). The $2.50
clip (two in front doors, one in the rear) connects the window motor arm to
the window rail. They slide up and down the rail lubricated by white
graphite grease. 7 years after production in my TX car the grease was
history and the clips broke.
Installation is very straight forward. Pull the inside door panel off (see
Bentley for instructions if necessary) and replace the old clips with the
new by sliding them out on the rail. Now soak the rail with new lithium
grease and slide the clips around until they move more or less freely.
Position the window about 3/4 way down for proper access and press the
clips into the window motor arm BY HAND. After they click once, press
harder to hear the SECOND click. Now they are in. If you use anything other
than your bare hands for leverage you are risking braking the window. So be
gentle.

That did it more me.
HTH,
alex f