<E28> 535i still running without key.. help

Hello All,

I am new to the list, and thank any replies on the subject.  I recently (2
months ago) bought an 85 535i in immaculate condition, that previously
belonged to an old german fellow that took very good care of the car.  It has
210,000 kms on it, about 120,000 miles.  I only had to do a few minor things
with it, like fix a broken wire in the fuse panel, and reglue the power window
bracket to the window on the rear passenger door.  other than that the car is
pristene, drives well, lots of power etc.  I have owned a few other BMW's
before including 2 320i's (early 80's) a 635, and a 2002.  However this is my
first E28 5 series.  I am a DIY type, and work on all my own cars, so I rarely
go to a dealer unless I need a part.

Now to the problem.  Last night I took the car out for a drive, it started
fine, drove fine etc, until I pulled into a parking spot, switched the key to
the off position and found that the car was still running with power to all
the accessories.  The steering locked, and such but the car wont shut off.
When I switched it back to power position, some of the startup warning gongs
came on as usual.  I tried several times to switch it back and forth with the
same result.  Removed key, and car still running.  I dont have a service
manual for the car yet, and the owners manual says nothing about relays or
fuses for the ignition switch.   I suspect the problem is in the switch
itself, however I am unsure.  I remember having to change an ignition switch
in my 82 320i and it was a nightmare.  Rivets and all.

has anyone had a similar problem? and if so do you have any suggestions?
Quick fixes, and how does one remove the ignition switch out of the steering
column on an E28?  is it as hard as the 320i , I had?

Please help!!!

Thanks

Ron Jordan
85 E28 535i