<E28> car running without key part II

Hello All,

Well, while waiting for advise, I decided to take a look inside the steering
column and underneath the dashboard.  I removed the bottom plastic cover and
it seems that the switch is built into the top metal portion of the housing
around the steering column.  Getting that housing off is quite an ordeal,
and seems like I would have to dismantle the entire column to get the top
part off.  I found the wires leading into and out of the switch, and
followed them down and into a some connectors that then lead into a loom.
It seems that they lead to relays underneath the dash, just below the ECU,
though I may be incorrect since there are a lot of wires down there.

I am wondering if it is a jammed relay, but I dont want to take them all out
and replace them, so I was wondering if anyone knew what those relays were
for, and if there was one for the ignition switch, which one it is.  As I
mentioned,. I dont have a service manual., and even if I did, electrical
diagrams are not my forte.  I am thinking that if the problem is in the
actual mechanical switch in the steering column, that I may just find the
main power wire, and put a manual switch on it somewhere, and have it hidden
so that I have to turn on the switch and then turn the key.  All speculation
till I get the real goods on the problem.

Any thoughts?
Please??
Thanks
Ron Jordan