Re: e36 suspension problems

"Noordien, Igshaan" <in1@domain.elided> wrote:

> A while back I asked the list's advice on a certain clanking noise I
> heard when going over bumps.

Igshaan,
What exactly were those noises and from where are they coming?

> Not being able to identify it's origin I took my baby ('92 e36 320
> sixer) in to a suspension shop and they diagnosed the power steering
> rack as the culprit.  One of the boots were leaking and there was also
> some play within the joint.  i was told that this was causing the
> sound and had the rack replaced about two weeks ago with a reconditioned
> unit.
> Guess what? the clanking is back!  The car is going back to the shop and
> I wanted the list's advice on how to identify a good reconditioned unit
> - are there any signs I should look for cause I'm going to look it over
> tonight before I take it back.

If I were you I would take the car to another shop to a). check that the
first one did not screw up the rack swap; b). did not misdiagnose the
clanking problem in the first place.

> Also I'm hearing faint knocking sounds that increase with the speed of
> the wheels.  I'm hearing in turns as well as going straight - it's not
> there all the time and I only seem to hear it at low speeds <100km and
> the engine would always be warmed up when it happens.

Where is the sound coming from? Front, rear, all four wheels?
Any steering wheel vibration?

> And then the last one- I'm feeling a slight shudder after braking from
> low speeds and it happens just before the car actually stops - not
> throughout braking.  It feels as if the pads are worn but I've got new
> rotors and pads.

Where are you feeling the shudder? The steering wheel? The seat?
Any accompanying noises? From where do they come?

> Could all this be related?  Any ideas/help/thoughts would be
> appreciated.

Could be anything from tie rods (those may have been replaced during the
steering rack swap), worn out control arm bushings or something else
entirely different.
You are not even telling us where the sounds are originating! We need way
more background information before we continue this guessing exercise.

alex f