e36 suspension problems

Hi People

A while back I asked the list's advice on a certain clanking noise I
heard when going over bumps.  Not being able to identify it's origin I
took my baby ('92 e36 320 sixer) in to a suspension shop and they
diagnosed the power steering rack as the culprit.  One of the boots were
leaking and there was also some play within the joint.  i was told that
this was causing the sound and had the rack replaced about two weeks ago
with a reconditioned unit.
Guess what? the clanking is back!  The car is going back to the shop and
I wanted the list's advice on how to identify a good reconditioned unit
- - are there any signs I should look for cause I'm going to look it over
tonight before I take it back.
Also I'm hearing faint knocking sounds that increase with the speed of
the wheels.  I'm hearing in turns as well as going straight - it's not
there all the time and I only seem to hear it at low speeds <100km and
the engine would always be warmed up when it happens.
And then the last one- I'm feeling a slight shudder after braking from
low speeds and it happens just before the car actually stops - not
throughout braking.  It feels as if the pads are worn but I've got new
rotors and pads.

Could all this be related?  Any ideas/help/thoughts would be
appreciated.

TIA

Igshaan
'92 320