best DIY mechanic tools?

>Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:06:00 -0500
>From: "FS" <freestat@domain.elided>
>Subject: best DIY mechanic tools?
>(Hopefully this won't stir up too much controversy :-)
>I've always been a longtime-borrower-of-tools (need to get my own, finally!
>:-) and am looking for opinions on what DIY'ers are using nowadays...
>The internet discussion forums are filled with Craftsman vs. S-K vs. Snap-On
>vs. etc. but would like to know if there is a brand that works particularly
>better(?) on BMW vehicles. I'll be purchasing sockets and wrenches first....
>Anyone care to comment?
>TIA!

I think it boils down to 2 things: your intended use/frequency of use, and
your budget.

If your going to just occasionally use the tools for general maintenance
and/or have a limited budget, then Craftsman should be just fine.

If you have a bit bigger budget, I would recommend Snap-On. Especially if
you plan on doing a bit more than occasional wrenching.

If you can handle it budget-wise, or plan on doing a LOT of wrenching, I
would recommend Facom (most stuff is available from The Ultimate Garage).

That being said, I have mostly Facom tools, augmented with Snap-On. At the
time of my most major tools purchase, my budget allowed getting Facom, plus
I was taking the M3 to the track 15-20 weekends a year so I was doing a LOT
of my maintenance work. Plus, I saw them as an investment. If I good really
good quality tools when I could, they should last me for a very long time.

For the occasional tools I've needed since then, Snap-On have been easier
for me to get locally.

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - since retired from the track
1993 325is #44 KP - new race car