Re: best DIY mechanic tools?

In a message dated 1/27/2002 3:40:47 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> (Hopefully this won't stir up too much controversy :-)

Oh boy, did you ever!

Cheap way to start and be satisfied (my opinion of course), wait for "Sears"
to have a sale on a Craftsman "Mechanics" set.  Expect to pay $75-$150
(depending on set) which includes the case to get everything you pretty much
need for now.  Sears has the easiest warranty to deal with for the occasional
user...  "WALK IN".  By the way, you do need the STANDARD sizes.  A 1/2
socket/wrench typically fits TIGHTER than a 13 mm one.  You will also find
yourself tightening bolts of tables and chairs around the house which are
typically standard.  Now that you will be perceived (or giving the perception
of) as a "handyman", no doubt others will ask you for help.  Great pick-up
line....  "I can (attempt to) fix that for you!  Of course I know what I am
doing.  I work on my BMW..."

I also frequent a local "discount tool and cigarette store" for the one-time
use tools and the "loaner" screwdrivers.  I recently replaced my head gasket
and needed those Torx sockets.  I paid $2.50 for a set of 10 that I will
hopefully never use again, but they look cool in my tool chest.

Don't forget to pick up a 1/2 breaker bar and 3/8-1/2 adapter.  I picked up
the Craftsman one.  I have broken two of each already.  I "walked" into Sears
to get a new each time.

This will go on for sometime....

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Rodney