Re: Oil Leak

Al,
You are referring to the power steering fluid reservoir. The leak is likely
coming from the hoses connected to the bottom of the reservoir with
disposable clamps that BMW puts on most small sized rubber hoses. With
time, the clamps loosen but since they are disposable they can not be
tightened and need to be replaced. The hoses are likely but no guaranteed
to still be OK. Go to the dealers or any other car parts store and buy one
3/4" and a dozen 1/2" hose clamps.
Use the 3/4" and one 1/2" clamps on the power steering hoses. The easiest
way to get to them is from under the car.
Use the remaining 1/2" clamps on all coolant (engine bay) and fuel (engine
bay, fuel filter under the driver's seat and fuel pump under the passenger
seat) hose connections in your car.

alex f

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Al Rego         |
|         |           <alregom3@yahoo.|
|         |           com>            |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           01/28/02 10:59  |
|         |           AM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw-digest@domain.elided                                                                         |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: Oil Leak                                                                                      |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 M3 (53K miles)which has just developed a
small oil leak from what appears to be a hose from the
area of the engine which is closest (underneath)to the
air filter box. Before I take it in I'd like to get
some possible ideas of what this could be? Oil pump?
Oil pump hose?

Thank you in advance,

Al
http://auctions.yahoo.com