<E30> Engine Response and Brake Questions

[demime could not interpret encoding binary - treating as plain text]
I have an '87 325 with the eta engine. Over the time that I have owned
it, I've noticed that some days the engine can be sluggish and slower to
respond to my left foot than usual and other days much more responsive
than normal. Usually the sluggishness occurs during traffic, but
sometimes it's also quite responsive in traffic. The engine response just
doesn't correspond to any pattern that I have seen so far -- cold vs. hot
days, highways vs. city, different gas stations. I don't think I'm just
making it up in my head -- what could be causing this? Fuel problems?
(pump?) throttle cable? engine electronics?...

Also related is that the engine makes some noise as the RPM's rise above
2500 or so (and slightly more so when the engine is feeling sluggish).
Could this be caused by ancilliary equipment -- power steering,
alternator? Or should I be more concerned? The noise has a metallic twang
to it, kind of like a very rapid tapping sound. It eminates from the
passenger side near the glove compartment.

Secondly, I've noticed that even after a fluid change, the brake fluid in
the reservoir quickly turns browns. The initial inch of travel of my
brakes feel mushy but after that they're pretty solid. I know the clutch
uses that same fluid and lately the clutch occasionally feels like it's
sticking when I depress it. Do you guys feel that there is a problem with
the brakes? What could be causing the clutch to stick? I asked my
mechanic and he mentioned a "fork" of some sort that could be sticking.
What is that?

And finally, are there any recommendations for good mechanics in the
North Dallas (Plano/Richardson) area?

Thank you guys (and gals) very much.

Sincerely,
Aaron Young