Re: Hood foam insualtion removal

Jorge -- I did this job on a Merc 300cd that had spent a lot of time in the
California sun --  the pad would literally crumble to my touch. I just put a
blanket over the engine compartment and scraped the stuff off with my
fingers.

Assuming your car was not neglected as badly, you may have to use some 3M
adhesive remover to cut into the glue holding the remaining scraps of
paddingon the hood. I'd apply the adhesive remover and seal it in with Saran
wrap or some other plastic to let it work. My experience is that it doesn't
damage the paint. If you to try to scrape it off physically with a tool I
fear you may scratch some paint off.

As for applying the pad, 3M to the rescue again. They have an aerosol
*high-temperature* automotive trim adhesive that says "for hood insulation"
right on the front of the can. The instructions say to apply some to the
hood surface and some to the new pad -- I obeyed the instructions to the
letter and used two large cans and a small one. That's a lot of glue, but I
wanted to do it right, and indeed it seems I have. No separation problems in
almost two years.

I've seen the 3M goo in a lot of discount auto parts shops, including
AutoZone.

Russ Maki
'87 325ic