Frozen Brakes?

A couple of mornings ago, I tried to drive off my 1987 520i and discovered
that the brake pedal was feeling very stiff and the brakes were sticking
"on" when I used them, but could be forced "off" by hooking the brake pedal
upwards with my foot.  Not a good way to drive to work, I decided, so
abandoned the car for the day in my drive.  That evening they were fine, and
have been ever since.

It had been a quite cold night (say -6degC), and has been thawing since, so
my first thought was that there may be some water in the system somewhere,
causing ice crystals in the hydraulic lines.  In which case, I need to
change my brake fluid pretty soon!

Does this sound reasonable, or are there any other suggestions?

Regards
Steve
(Darlington, UK)