Wheel fitment for e28

Can wheels from an e39 be fitted correctly to an e28? I know they have the
same 5 lug 120 mm bot pattern with offsets from 18 to 20 mm. That seems to
match and allow their use on an e28. I know I have to worry about 15 inch vs
16 inch and others and that the tire size will dictate whether it all fits
together. But, the center bore of the hub is 74mm for the e39 wheels while
the e28 hub has a bore of 72.5mm. So, they will fit on the e28 without
interference but they also cannot then be used to aid alignment and lend any
support to the mounted wheel. Will this work?

Chuck Krause
'86 535i