re: E36 wheel bearing replacement -- thanks!

Thanks to everyone that responded on the list or in private email.

Re:  shock mounts --  I took my car to a shop that an LA Chapter
member of BMWCCA recommended.  The shop owner showed me
what the shock mount looks like when ripped apart. They also
showed me vertical play in both front wheels (more on the left -- that
bearing is definitely bad, the right one is also starting to go).

I had my bearings replaced the first time at a dealer in the SF Bay Area
(Peter Pan)
but someone suggested the mech perhaps installed them improperly.
But I also drive aggressively, so taking onramps and offramps at 40mph all
the time maybe
isn't such a great idea -- and I like to take corners relatively fast I
suppose.

I'm planning to keep this car for another three to four years so I view
all this as maintenance/upkeep.  It still drives beautifully.

- -B