RE: E34 525i MTF oil

From: "Eugene Hoe" <eugene@domain.elided>

> Any one know how much gear box oil is needed (MTF) for the front
> and rear gearbox on a E34 525i 5 speed manual?.  I'm in the midst
> of buying Redline MTF for it but not sure how many litres I need.
> I heard someone told me that the front main gearbox takes 4 litres
> of MTF and the rear takes about 2 litres. Anyone can confirm this?.

It's in your owners manual, if you have one.  If you don't have one,
I could look in mine for you.  I don't think the 5-speeds take as
much as 4 liters, but I could be mistaken...

What year is your 525i?  My Bentley might also tell some of the
details for your car.

> And also is there any particular type of Redline MTF oil I should
> get?. I notice there are several types...

If you are going to do your own trans fluid change, you should be
capable of climbing under there now to look on the passenger side
of the trans to see if there is an orange label that says "ATF".
If it does, then the recommended Redline is the D4 ATF.  If it truly
does need regular MT Fluid, I think you'll probably want Redline MTL.

Even if it does call for ATF, there are plenty of folks who have good
luck with MTL in older 100K+ mile transmissions.

And BTW, make sure you unscrew the FILL plug _BEFORE_ you unscrew
the drain plug.  That way, you know you'll be able to refill the
trans after you drain it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner