Re:<E28> Quarter million miles (402,000 km) !!

Kim,

I enjoyed your list very much! I have a 1986 535i at 204,000, and I can
almost match your list, item for item! These cars are very predictable.

A few items:

 - just lost the second water pump - it failed completely (seized), which is
said to be rare, but it lasted 140,000 miles. The car is sitting in the
garage awaiting parts, which is a good thing as I'm trying to figure out how
to get the fan clutch nut out of the pump pulley. I have a 32mm wrench, but
no amount of tapping and liquid wrench is helping. I am going clockwise from
front (reverse threads). Any ideas? I ordered a clamp from Bav Auto.

- - I have never replaced the ICV - I "think" mine works OK. It passes all the
tests, but I have a horrible idle that even shakes the car at a stoplight
sometimes. The RPM's are rock steady at about 700 RPM, even while she
shakes. I overgapped the plugs and the valve clearance by one gauge strip,
and it seemed to help, but not much. Maybe the ICV? Where's a good source?

- - are you saying your fuel pump worked fine, but you replaced it to save
trouble later? Mine checks OK, but every now and then, the engine stumbles
upon acceleration, then within a few seconds, clears up. I had a faulty main
relay, which clicked very weakly when tested, and didn't always allow full
voltage across its main terminals, but after I replaced it, I still have
occasional stumbling problems, though more rarely. I have always suspected
the fuel pump or relay, but they always test OK.

- - I've never replaced the injectors. I wonder if they're on borrowed time?

- - at about 100k miles, my transmission froze. Upon inspection, it had only a
few ounces of very broken down lubricant. It had been serviced just 1,000
miles before by an independent repair shop three states away (I had just
moved), who naturally, claimed that of course they remembered to refill it.
Expensive lesson - I check everything now after any servicing, even if I do
it myself!

- - the only times I've been disappointed have been when the alternator fried
itself (no warning), and most recently, the water pump failure, without
warning also - about 5 seconds of loud, grating noise at freeway speeds,
followed by squealing belt, followed by engine off coast down the next exit
ramp! Both these failures left me stranded on the road - a definite pain,
but bound to occur with any high mileage car, I suppose, unless you simply
replace everything at a conservative interval.

Thanks again for your list!

Best,
Phil