<E28> Quarter million miles (402,000 km) !!

Hello all!

My '85 535i (born 7/85) surpassed the quarter million mile mark
over the Thanksgiving holiday!

Here are some of the highlights over the miles.  The car is a joy to
drive, but like life itself, there have been a few bumps in the road!

Engine, drivetrain, interior, and exterior - original.

Exterior - the delphin is in desperate need of a paint job!
Otherwise, the southern climate has been good to the car.  Very
little rust.  A shame the car looks like this, but rides great!

Suspension - Bilstein sport with lowered springs - and 16-inch
Hartge wheels.  Just wish I had gone to the wheels sooner - just
did that 2 years ago.

Interior (leather) is in good shape - save for wear on the 2 front
seats.

Drivetrain - engine, clutch, transmission, and rear-end, original.
Read about the engine below.

Repairs - the "big" stuff and other notables.
- - one alternator
- - 2 water pumps and thermostats
- - A/C compressor seals failed - still haven't fixed it (lazy me!)
- - at 135,000 miles, an eccentric failed, and significant cam wear.
Head was worked and a new (Schrick) cam installed.
- - rear muffler replaced once
- - complete exhaust replaced once
- - injectors replaced once
- - fan clutch once
- - idle control valve (3 times)
- - heater control valve (2 times)
- - nitrogen "bottle" (3-4 times)
- - at 200,000 miles or thereabouts, front end suspension
components replaced
- - fuel pump replaced at the same time, just to be safe!
- - and, drive shaft replaced.
- - at 249,000 miles the head bolts stretched too much - and the
combustion runneth all over!  A scare - but no head damage!

- - Accidents:  a deer - fender and hood - the deer apparently
survived!

- - The car has been to several driving schools!

- - Lubricants:  since day one - Amsoil engine and gear oils.

- - Gripes:  Outside of the engine problems, the paint.  I hate the car
looks like junk, but a true wolf in very worn out sheep skin!

- - GOALS:
Get the car repainted!   Front seats reconditioned or replaced.
Get the A/C working.  Re-build the engine at some point (high
compression!)!  More driving schools!  More safe and enjoyable
driving!   AND - report back to you folks at the half million mark!

Wm. Kim Hensley
BMW CCA #16216