E34 throttle surge help

While driving our 92 525iT around today I noticed that I could feel the
power surging under acceleration and with the radio off could even hear a
variance in engine effort. I then noticed that the MPG gage swings along
with the surging. By keeping an eye on the gage I noted that the car is
doing this to some small degree most of the time even at cruising speeds.
Not usually obvious but it got my attention today. What are the possible
causes for this? Anyone been down this road and know the fix? The car's
check engine light is *not* tripped.

Throttle position switch? Not? What?

Thanks

End of bmw-digest V9 #1971