what's a good wheel cleaner for...

I bought a car that is in great mechanical shape but the prior owner let the
cosmetics go. I hope to turn the car around (sell it) but need to clean it
up first. The aftermarket chrome(?) alloy wheels have thousands of miles
worth of baked on brake dust stuck to them. STP citrus cleaner didn't work.
What can I use to get this stubborn stuff off the wheels without doing them
further damage? Is there a good wheel cleaner I can find at places like
Checker, Autozone or Pep Boys?

Thanks,

Ron
89 Volvo 240 Wagon 5spd (215K) 2nd owner
92 BMW 525i Sport Wagon (38K!!) 2nd owner
98 Toy 4x4 2nd owner
00 BMW R11S