[E28] electrical problem

Last night I was making a short trip to the store in our 528e (after driving
about 900-1000 miles this weekend), and on the way home, I was pulling up to
a stoplight when the radio shut off and the brake lamp warning indicator
(the one on the ceiling, not on the dash) came on.  When I turned and
started driving (I was about a mile from home at the time and there was
virtually no traffic), I noticed that my speedometer wasn't working either.
This is my wife's car, and before I left for work, I opened the hood and
checked the fuses.  They all appeared to be good.  I haven't had a chance to
dig into the Bentley manual yet, but I intend to tonight.

Does anyone have any quick and easy suggestions as to what the problem might
be?  I'm not looking forward to chasing down a strange electrical problem.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco