re: coil resistance

DC resistance measurements of ignition coils aren't very telling. If you
don't have a problem, ignore the difference.

On the other hand, resistance readings of sparkplug wire ends mean a
lot. Expect 1K at the ditributer end and 5K at the plug connector, and not
much more. 20% high is failed.

- -tc

> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:03:35 -0500
> From: Dog-n-Hog <woody@domain.elided>
> Subject: [E30] Ignition Coil Question
>
> Hey folks, got a question ('85 325e).
>
> I measure the resistances of my ignition coil last night (changing
> plugs, distributor cap, and rotor), and did not come up with the
> Bentley numbers, as listed below:
>
>              Bentley     My reading
>              -------     ----------
> Primary      0.5 ohms     0.6 ohms
> Secondary    5 Kohms      6 Kohms
>
> Should I replace the coil?  Are these readings within accepted
> tolerance (none listed in Bentley)?  Any thoughts, experiences?
>
> TIA,
> Norm

- --
Ted Crum