Re: E30 Door Lock Question

Keith,

I had a problem like this, and the problem was a worn lock cylinder.  I
replaced the driver's door lock cylinder, and the problem went away.

You can get a replacement cylinder from the dealer, and it comes with a set
of lock tumblers so you can key it to match the other locks in your car.
Use the existing cylinder to determine the proper tumblers to use, and the
sequence for the key.

Also, be sure to clearly document how the lock cylinder goes together. The
instructions that come with the lock kit are very vague, the drawing is hard
to read, and the text is in German.

What's the condition of your key?  Does it work properly in the other lock
cylinders (trunk, passenger door), or does it have trouble in them as well?

Good luck,

- -rb