E30 Door Lock Question

  I've spent a good part of the afternoon trying to track down a locking
problem on my 86 325.  The *only* way the driver door will lock is double
lock.  If I unplug the lock solenoid and the lock cylinder switch, I cannot
mechanically lock the driver's door using the key from outside.  According
to Jim Conforti's (I think it was his) central locking faq, you should
always be able to mechanically lock the doors (it works on my passenger
door).  If I use a screwdriver to press down on the lever coming out of the
top of the lock mechanism (the lock cylinder arm normally moves this lever
up and down), it will mechanically lock the door.  When I try to use the key
to lock the door, the cylinder arm does not move the lever down.  If I move
the lever down with a screwdriver, the cylinder arm DOES move the lever up
and mechanically UNlock the door.
  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith Turner