Z3 info sought

Hi all ,

I'm new to the BMW digest , but a regular on the Alfa digest .

My girl friend wants to buy a Z3 convertible , most likely used and I told
her I'd help find out about them . The questions we have so far are ;

Is there a source that defines the difference in models and equipment ?

Are people happy with the 1.9l motor ?

What's included in the " sport and premuim " package

Are there any improvement in a certain model year to look for ?

Are there hard tops available ?

What about motorized soft tops? Do they work well ? What year did they become
available ?

I read that the E 36 nomenclature includes both the 3 series and the Z3 . Am
I to understand that they are built on the same chassis , or ????

Has anyone had a good experience with a particular sales person in the SF bay
area?

Any and all answers appreciated .

Thanks ,

Don Coulter