RE: Car speed meter dead/intermittent 88 325is

Hi Shri,

I had the same problem on a 84 325e. It was solved by removeing the
instrument cluster,  taking it carefully apart, and then re-soldering all
the joints on the main circuit board and on the speedometer guage itself.
There was a web site up with pictures of the process, but I have lost the
bookmark. The speed sensor itself is in the differential rear cover,
however I doubt that would be the problem given all the collateral problems
you are having. You may also have dead SI batteries. Definitely, while you
are in there, solder in some new ones - any AA NiCd cells with solder tabs
will do (charge them up before installation, though). There are lots of
writups of this procedure out there on the net.

regards,
Zenon
'73 2002, '84 325e
BMW CC BC, BMW CCA