RE: Car speed meter dead/intermittent 88 325is

Shri Lohia [mailto:shrilohia@domain.elided] wrote:

> My speed meter (miles per hour meter)has gone intermittent. I
> am unable to find the electrical diagram in Bentley.

Shri,
For E30 electrical diagrams you would want to purchase an E30 ETM
(Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) at somewhere around $30.
Sounds like your speedometer is heading south. It gets its feed from the
rear differential sensor. Crawl under the car and find a wire going in the
back of the diff. The wire leads to a sensor threaded into the diff cover.
Chances are the wires have corroded over time or the sensor itself is dying.

> Some times it comes on and stays there for a few minutes and
> other times it  does not move. It is also affecting the
> instantaneous gallons per mile meter, and cruise control
> does not engage.

Yep, it's awfully tough for cruise control to maintain speed if it doesn't
know what the current speed is... or for OBC to calculate MPG if miles part
is missing ;-)

alex f