Re-Charge of A/C using R-12 85 528e

> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:40:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lee <mremail1964@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re-Charge of A/C using R-12 85 528e
>
> Hi all,
> I am going to charge my a/c and was wondering which side was the high
> pressure side? There is a valve on a refrigerant pipe running under the
> coolent tank. Is this the place to put the r-12? 1985 528e.
> Lee

Lee - The low pressure, or suction side is often a larger diameter tube.  Assuming there is still
refrigerant in the system (you are just adding the appropriate make-up refrigerant) you may be able to
tell by feeling the tubes going in and out of the compressor.  The hotter side, usually the smaller
diameter, is the high pressure side.  You could also put a high pressure guage on either Schrader
valve and engage the compressor and see if the pressure goes up or down, indicating high and low sides
respectively.  I assume you are doing this with an appropriate guage set, and this system  was not
evacuated or otherwise opened such that moisture or air could have entered.  That would require a
professional service, possibly a new dryer-receiver and done with R-12 recycling equipment, performed
by a certified technician.

Always introduce R-12 into the system on the low pressure side, and always as a gas.

Rick