Front Strut Replacement

Hello All

I have a 1987 325 that needs front strut replacement.  I have no experience
with changing struts on any of my previous cars, let alone a BMW.

Is this pretty involved for the home mechanic?  What special tools do I
need?  Does the entire assembly (strut housing) come off the car, or do I
extract the old cartridge thru the wheel well?  Should I leave the job for a
garage?  The Haynes Service Manual makes it look easy but I know there is
more to it than the photos show.