Re: E34 Computer Light

John,

There are three lightbulbs in the computer, so most likely you finally lost
the third bulb, so now the display is totally dark.

The bulbs are easy to replace, but you'll need to pull out your radio in
order to reach the release lever for the computer.  The radio uses two
special five-sided fasteners to screw it into the dash, but you'll be able
to use a hex key to unscrew them.  Just be careful with the hex key so you
don't mess up the screw head.

Once the radio is out, look for the computer's release lever toward the rear
of the computer module.  Pull it forward (it takes some effort), and the
computer will pop out of the dash.

Once it's out, you'll see the three bulbs, located around the module.
They're the type of bulb with the integral black plastic base, and a 1/4
turn is needed to remove them.  They're cheap ($1 or so).

NOTE: When you pop the computer out, you'll be disconnecting power from it,
so any information in the computer (time, date, current mpg, etc) will be
lost.

- -rb