Re: Purchase of a 1990 525i Please help!

Mark,

Check the following:

- - front control arm bushings (worn bushings will cause steering shimmy)

- - cracked headlights (those ellipsoidal low beams will cost you over $100
each!  The highbeams are about $65 each.  Not sure about foglight prices.)

- - Auto transmission?  The unit used on that model/year is not the best or
strongest, and you're close to failure time (125k miles).

- - radiator leaks, especially around the tank/core seams

- - self-leveling rear suspension?  Make sure it works, no leaks.  It's
expensive to repair ($1000!)

- - condition of all hoses and belts.  Fuel injection hoses are expensive
(high pressure fuel hose, $3/ft).

- - Auxiliary fan in front of the radiator.  It should turn on when the AC is
running.

- - bubbling interior trim on door panels

- - seat heaters?  Make sure both elements (seat cushion, seat back) work
properly

- - power seats?  Make sure that they operate in all directions, and that the
seat doesn't twist when moving (broken cable)

- - dashboard lights.  Are all dashboard lights illuminated?  Especially the
climate control lighting?  The climate controls are lit by a single bulb.
Replacing that one bulb is a REAL BITCH!  The entire climate control module
must be removed from the dash, and almost completely disassembled, to
replace the bulb.

- - condition of battery (under rear seat).  Also, check for any rust around
the battery area

- - electrical controls (turn signal/highbeam/check control stalk, cruise
control, wipers, hazard warning switch, power window switches (they have
internal lights, too),

- - shocks and struts

- - Check for engine computer codes.  Follow directions at:

http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/fault.html

(your car has DME M1.3)

Most of these things shouldn't be showstoppers for buying the car, but can
be used when dealing on the price.  The climate control light, for
example...a shop would probably charge you $150 to replace the $1 bulb
because of the work involved in removing/replacing the climate control
module.  A radiator replacement will cost over $300.  Power window switches
are $60 each!  Cracked headlights will need to be replaced to pass State
inspection.  yadda yadda....

If the car is equipped with an auto transmission, and there are any
questions raised regarding it's condition, PASS ON THIS CAR!

- -rb