E28 Air Conditioning Issues

I've heard that the air conditioning in E28 series BMWs is somewhat
underpowered. My experience has been no different, although I suspect I do
have an actual problem with it. My 86 535i has the strange characteristic
that the air actually runs better at lower speeds (not stop and go) than it
does at highway speeds.

My theory is that I have a faulty evaporator sensor which is turning the
compressor off when it thinks the evaporator is getting too cold. Has anyone
else experienced this, or have any advice?

Thanks
- -mcd