'84 528e buying advice

My brother-in-law ran across an '84 528e that he's interested in. His Harley was stolen recently
so he's looking for reliable transportation. He's not very knowledgeable about cars so he called
me for advice because I have an '88 535is and a '92 325ic. I'm not very familiar with the eta
engine, so I was wondering if there are any tips particular to the 528e for him to look for? It's
an '84 automatic w/ 148K, and he said looks like it's in great shape. The owner said the tranny
was rebuilt recently. He hasn't driven it, only talked with the owner briefly.

Asking price is $2800 and the car is located in the LA/Hermosa beach area.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and if anyone with 528e experience is willing to take a look
at the car that would be great as well.

=====
Phil  Dupont
BMWCCA # 194371