Recommendations please

We've got a '95 M3 2 door and a '76 2002.  The M3 is not very well suited to
toting our 5 month old around in her car seat, together with all of the
paraphernalia required to keep an infant in diapers, strollers and the like.
We need more room and access to the back seat and more storage space.  The
2002 is cute and fun and my wife loves it, but it's not what I want my
precious wife and child to be sitting in while they do battle on a daily
basis with Ford Destroyers and Chevy Excessives and the other huge and
unmaneuverable Stupid Useless Vehicles on our local roads.  It also isn't
exactly a freeway car.

We need a new Bimmer.  It breaks my heart, but it isn't going to be a new 320
hp M3 convertible -- it's got to be a family car my wife will drive the baby
around in most days of the week.  I'm trying to figure out whether I should
be looking at a 5er sedan, a 325xi 'sport wagon,' or a 330xi 4 door.  I think
the 5er is out because my wife doesn't want to drive a land barge, but I
won't rule it out just yet.  Anybody out there who has recently struggled
with the "got a new baby and need something with at least 4 doors and lots of
safety features" syndrome, and who has some wisdom to impart, please respond!

David M. Jacobi
chambolle@domain.elided
95 M3 (bright red)
'76 2002 (verona)