RE: ow! value on 1982 320is

I've heard many stories of insurance companies offering lowball settlements
for Beetles and Sciroccos that were in exceptional condition.  I used to be
insured by State Farm, and when I asked how they would establish a
settlement offer if needed for my Beetle, they told me it's based on cars in
the area in similar condition with similar mileage and features, etc.  How
many old Beetles or Sciroccos do you see running around, and how many are in
great shape?  In these cases, the insurance companies were offering
settlements based on cars that were not comparable.  The owners had to do
the legwork that the insurance companies claimed to have already done, and
they were able to get much better settlements out of the deal.

Another option (although it's a little late for you in this case) is to get
a stated value policy.  This requires getting the car appraised, and then
the insurance company will insure it for its appraised value.  This ensures
that you get what the car is worth if something happens.  The downside is I
believe some stated value policies restrict your annual mileage.

Good luck, and as John stated, don't rush to a settlement.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle