Re: ow! value on 1982 320is

Allister Brown wrote:

<>

Yes, I'm afraid so (I have experience)....you need to be "very agressive"
with the insurance company!  Let them know "politely" that you know the value
of your car, and you expect to be compensated for its true value, not what
the book says.  Of course, maybe you'll have it appraised "before" the
accident the next time<g>.

Have an independent appraiser write up an appraisal...show him pics of the
car before it was crunched...hopefully, he will feel comfortable establishing
a value as it would have been...this is not easy to do, but most appraisers
will understand what the car "was" worth and do the appraisal....it won't be
as high as if the car were "pristine"  most likely, but it's better than you
approaching the insurance company "unprepared".

The other thing the insurance company might require of you is to find a
comparable car for sale in your area to help establish value....so if you see
another car for sale (which would be difficult)...you can use that as an
example of value too.

Then, there's always the BMW CCA....they will also work with
you...especially, if you've exhausted the other sources....look at ads in the
Roundel too.

Don't be in any hurry to "settle" with the insurance company....they will try
to hurry you.

Good luck,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646