E30 Gray smoke from exhaust

Hello All,

I was autocrossing my 1986 325es (approx. 190k miles) this weekend when
poof, she began spewing white/gray/blue smoke.  I was able to limp back to
the pits but then she didn't want to keep running.  After letting her sit
for 15-20 minutes, when trying to start I heard a slap and felt like
something was locked up.  Thirty minutes later, the motor would turn over
but would not stay running.  All the time still smoking.

I think is the valve stem seals but am looking for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Richard Springs
1986 325es