Re: E30 325is oil pan gasket replacement

In a message dated 2/28/01 11:49:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I would atleast try to get it out before touching the subframe and/or
steering rack.

I have to disagree with this statement (respectively)...it will be "much
easier" moving the steering track out of the way, and it does absolutely no
harm whatsoever as long as you don't change any adjustments on the rack (will
not affect alignment).  The motor mounts will not need to be removed, only
loosened to allow the engine to raise up just enough to allow for more
clearance "down under".

The oil pump pickup is the only problem then...you have to wiggle the pan
around a bit to clear it upon pan removal.  I would do the job the "easiest
way" always.  If leaving the rack on is the way you want to go, it's your
option (and no disrespect intended), but I don't see the point of leaving it
attached.

Regards,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646